Tuesday, September 11, 2018

The Raccoon

Brenda, Teri and Cousin Denny with pet raccoon about 1961
There are some experiences in life that are so memorable that I wish I could take my children and grandchildren back in time to share with them.  Chasing fireflies is one, having a pet raccoon is another.  I am always telling my family about my pet raccoon but I am not sure they really believed me.  



     Writing and sharing this  picture can scarcely capture the fun of having that little guy sleeping on my lap.
     At this time we lived on a farm in Williamsburg, Kansas.  I would have been about five or six years old and in the first grade. I remember wearing those brown round toed shoes on the first day of school. The big tractor tire that we are sitting on was a sandbox that I used to spend hours in. My younger sister Brenda, on the left is about three years old with my cousin Denny on the right. My pet raccoon is stretched out sleeping on my lap. 
     I used to carry my baby raccoon around nestled in a towel in the bottom of a small brown basket with a wooden handle.  I fed him from a bottle just like a baby. Sometimes he would help hold onto it. As he grew he would wander all over the house hiding anything that was shiny, when you couldn't find something the first place you looked was in his "nest."  I was fascinated by his little black hands holding his food, just like people, and rolling it around while dunking it in water.  Most pets like dogs and cats just eat from the bowl.  Not raccoons, they pick it up.
      I think taking care of him brought out the mothering instinct in me. I loved this little guy. As he got older he made lots mischief getting into things. I am also sure my mom did not enjoy this wild critter raiding her house. The sad day for me came when we had to let him go back into the wild because he got mean.  One day he bit my Dad, which did not go over well. I think that I am glad he never bit me! 


     So you have to ask, what does all of this have to do with family history? Apparently I wasn't the first one in the family fascinated by these little bandits.  Here is a photo of my Grandmother (the little girl on the left),  and my Great Grandmother and her sister.  It's not the best picture but you can clearly see a raccoon in front of them drinking from a bottle. I love their cloche hats typical of the 1920's!  

     Baby raccoons must be easy to come by in Kansas.  As a child having a raccoon for a pet brings back warm memories and connects me to my grandmothers that loved this critter just like me. 

Marie Bell Hayden/Bien - great grandmother

Loene Loena Smith/Hayes - grandmother
James Dewayne Hayes & Shirley Brooks parents of
Teri, Brenda and James Hayes





No comments:

Post a Comment